Skip to main content

The Sunday Salon

I spent our snow day at home with my mom; we were basically trapped all weekend, until out snow-blow guy came and got us out this morning. Not a terrible lot of stuff got read, though I did finish The Mitfords: Letters Between Six Sisters last night, and I read about 300 pages in A Hollow Crown over the weekend. On the flip side, though, I did get a number of reviews written, and I participated in Weekly Geeks, where I talked about Helen Hollick. This week I also read Someone at a Distance, by Dorothy Whipple; The Unquiet Bones, by Melvin Starr; and Brigid of Kildare, by Heather Terrell (coming out on Tuesday; reviews of all to follow).

Did you hear about the Amtrak train which got stuck in rural Pennsylvania over the weekend? At least the people onboard had things to read!

My mom and I have been watching on DVD the BBC miniseries Cranford, based on the Elizabeth Gaskell book. Both of us loved it so much I went and bought a copy of the novel. Cranford is the story of a small, provincial town and the effect that the modern age has upon it. The story revolves around a group of the town’s spinsters, especially Miss Matty Jenkyns (played in the five-part miniseries by Judy Dench) and her sister Deborah (played by Eileen Atkins). The cast is stellar (it also includes the extraordinarily funny Imelda Staunton as Miss Pole), and the acting is superb. It’s a must-watch, even if you haven’t read the book.

I got to thinking recently about book buying. I do a lot of mine online, especially for some of the rarer stuff (for example, I bought a few Juliet Dymoke books on Amazon Marketplace this week). It’s so easy to buy stuff online, isn’t it? I’m really trying to cut back on the book buying, especially since I have so many unread books lying on my floor (62 at last count), and I buy books faster than I actually read them! I really need to read and review a lot of them before I can buy any more—so that’s going to be something I’m committing myself to from here on out. No more book buying for the rest of February, and I expect you all to hold me to it! Where do you buy your books? And do you have to force yourself to control your spending if your TBR pile gets out of control?

Comments

Kathleen said…
When my TBR pile gets out of control I tell myself that I can only check books out of the library and do a temporary book buying ban. That usually last for a month or two and then I am back to buying again! ha!
Daphne said…
Online book buying is my weakness - I buy waaaaay too many books that way (especially older out of print ones). I need to learn to stay away from Alibris and ebay!!! I have about 250 unread books - but when I see a good price on one of the OOPs, I just can't resist!
notablyindigo said…
My TBR pile is insane, and will probably remain so because it's easier for me to order books on Amazon and have them shipped to me at college than it is to persuade my mom to dig through the bags of books that still dwell in the dark recesses of my closet at home. When I was living at home, though, it was used book sales at my local library that would burn the holes in my pockets. It is so easy to walk away from one of those with 20+ books because, hey, they're only fifty cents a pop. What's the harm?
Svea Love said…
Good job on ready 300 pages of in The Hollow Crown, I really need get started on that one.

My TBR pile is crazy. I usually buy my books at Barnes & Noble in the store or on their website when they have bargain books. I have really been trying not to buy any books since I have so many waiting for me on my shelf. It has been going well for a month but I feel a splurge coming on LOL.
Kristen M. said…
My TBR pile is far too large right now so whenever I get an uncontrollable book buying urge, I'm using the chance to buy books that I don't own but have already read -- from the library or in the past. Then my TBR pile doesn't grow as quickly and I'm ready for re-reads when the time comes.
Marg said…
My library catalogue is my weakness! I always have far too many books out at any one time. I do buy some times but I struggle to find the time to read them.

Popular posts from this blog

Another giveaway

This time, the publicist at WW Norton sent me two copies of The Glass of Time , by Michael Cox--so I'm giving away the second copy. Cox is the author of The Meaning of Night, and this book is the follow-up to that. Leave a comment here to enter to win it! The deadline is next Sunday, 10/5/08.

A giveaway winner, and another giveaway

The winner of the Girl in a Blue Dress contest is... Anna, of Diary of An Eccentric ! My new contest is for a copy of The Shape of Mercy , by Susan Meissner. According to Publisher's Weekly : Meissner's newest novel is potentially life-changing, the kind of inspirational fiction that prompts readers to call up old friends, lost loves or fallen-away family members to tell them that all is forgiven and that life is too short for holding grudges. Achingly romantic, the novel features the legacy of Mercy Hayworth—a young woman convicted during the Salem witch trials—whose words reach out from the past to forever transform the lives of two present-day women. These book lovers—Abigail Boyles, elderly, bitter and frail, and Lauren Lars Durough, wealthy, earnest and young—become unlikely friends, drawn together over the untimely death of Mercy, whose precious diary is all that remains of her too short life. And what a diary! Mercy's words not only beguile but help Abigail and Lars

Six Degrees of Barbara Pym's Novels

This year seems to be The Year of Barbara Pym; I know some of you out there are involved in some kind of a readalong in honor of the 100th year of her birth. I’ve read most of her canon, with only The Sweet Dove Died, Civil to Strangers, An Academic Question, and Crampton Hodnet left to go (sadly). Barbara Pym’s novels feature very similar casts of characters: spinsters, clergymen, retirees, clerks, and anthropologists, with which she had direct experience. So it stands to reason that there would be overlaps in characters between the novels. You can trace that though the publication history of her books and therefore see how Pym onionizes her stories and characters. She adds layers onto layers, adding more details as her books progress. Some Tame Gazelle (1950): Archdeacon Hoccleve makes his first appearance. Excellent Women (1952): Archdeacon Hoccleve gives a sermon that is almost incomprehensible to Mildred Lathbury; Everard Bone understands it, however, and laughs