Skip to main content

The Sunday Salon


Well, today’s the first Sunday in 2009, and I must say that the year has started out auspiciously. I’ve been in Arizona for the past week, in the warm weather, and I head back east tonight (wah!).

Over this week, I’ve made inroads into my ARC pile; I finished Drood and Bleeding Heart Square. Now I’m on to a non-ARC, The Scarlet Lion, and it’s been a quick read so far. Very, very enjoyable, too, as I’m finding Elizabeth Chadwick’s novels to be. I’ll probably finish it tonight on the plane, and then I think I'll be on to an ARC of Silent on the Moor. My reading habits are sort of organic; I choose what to read next based on what I feel like.

My book buying has actually increased—I know I’ll have a few packages waiting at home for me from Amazon. Over this week, I bought Needle in the Blood, by Sarah Bower, The Glassblower of Murano, by Marina Fiorato, A Place Beyond Courage, by Elizabeth Chadwick, and The Founding, by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles. Before the new year, I figured that most of the books I read in 2008 were written by women, and I guess I'm un-selfconsciously continuing that pattern in 2009. More book buying will occur at a later date, as I still have a couple of gift cards to Barnes and Noble in my wallet.

Two days ago I also celebrated my blogoversary here at A Girl Walks Into A Bookstore… I started this blog to better keep track of my reading, and over the past twelve months I’ve met a lot of really great people through blogging. So thank you to everyone who’s ever commented or even visited my blog! I’ve read some fantastic things this year and I’ve also read a few “wallbangers.” I also discovered the double edged sword of accepting ARCs for review. Here’s to another great year of reading and writing about books!

Comments

Teresa said…
So it looks like you're definitely planning to read the Morland series. Hope you enjoy it as much as I am!
Kristen M. said…
Congrats on one year of writing! I really enjoy your thoughts and opinions.
Ted said…
Happy blogaversary. My book buying has gone bonkers as well.
Penguin Moms said…
Happy anniversary in blogland! Have you read the previous two Raybourn books in that series?
Anonymous said…
Happy one year birthday! My book buying has kind of lulled since I got most of the books I wanted for Christmas, but that library card of mine is getting a workout.
Eva said…
Happy Blogiversary!
Anonymous said…
I love the term "wallbangers" and will have to use it the next time it's appropriate. Happy blogiversary!
Danielle said…
Happy Blogiversary! I hope you like The Glassblower of Murano as well as The Needle in the Blood-both good in different ways--the first is a bit more fluffy and quick--the Bower is more intense with the history (I loved the needlework aspect of it). And the Cynthia Harrod-Eagles books are very addicting as well. I've been very bad about buying lately, too...
Alix said…
Happy Blogversary, I adored the Morland series, especially the first ones. Happy Reading
Alyce said…
I have some of the same ARCs that you do, but I haven't read them yet. I know what you mean by the double-edged sword of ARCs. :)
Bookfool said…
Happy Blogiversary! As to the wallbangers . . . I've made a resolution giving myself permission to give up on any book, that doesn't grab me this year, even if it's an ARC. I'm going to post about why it didn't work for me and who I believe might enjoy it. At least, that will make me feel like I've fulfilled my obligation to write about an ARC, I hope! :)
Anonymous said…
What did you think of DROOD? Hope to get to that one soon. I also am looking forward to the new Deanna Raybourn book. I've enjoyed the first two in that series.
Marg said…
I always love to find other Elizabeth Chadwick books. I have enjoyed everything I have read by her so far, and will be disappointed when I finally catch up on all her books!


I am about to start reading the Morland Dynasty books by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles as well.

Happy Blogiversary!
serendipity_viv said…
Congrats on your anniversary. I really enjoy reading your blog. My book buying is always out of control. I wish I could read them as fast as I buy them!
Melissa said…
I'm starting my year off with a genre I have never really gotten into before. Mystery/Fiction.

I just finished reading John Patrick Lamont's mystery/fiction titled, "The Worst Kind of Lies." Even though this book is fiction, I could see the characters as believable people in a real world.
Megan said…
Happy Blogiversary! I definitely agree that the ARC thing is definitely a double-edged sword. On the one hand - new books! For free! Great books I might not have discovered otherwise! On the other hand - New books! For free! With lots of strings attached! And they sure aren't all great!

Popular posts from this blog

Another giveaway

This time, the publicist at WW Norton sent me two copies of The Glass of Time , by Michael Cox--so I'm giving away the second copy. Cox is the author of The Meaning of Night, and this book is the follow-up to that. Leave a comment here to enter to win it! The deadline is next Sunday, 10/5/08.

A giveaway winner, and another giveaway

The winner of the Girl in a Blue Dress contest is... Anna, of Diary of An Eccentric ! My new contest is for a copy of The Shape of Mercy , by Susan Meissner. According to Publisher's Weekly : Meissner's newest novel is potentially life-changing, the kind of inspirational fiction that prompts readers to call up old friends, lost loves or fallen-away family members to tell them that all is forgiven and that life is too short for holding grudges. Achingly romantic, the novel features the legacy of Mercy Hayworth—a young woman convicted during the Salem witch trials—whose words reach out from the past to forever transform the lives of two present-day women. These book lovers—Abigail Boyles, elderly, bitter and frail, and Lauren Lars Durough, wealthy, earnest and young—become unlikely friends, drawn together over the untimely death of Mercy, whose precious diary is all that remains of her too short life. And what a diary! Mercy's words not only beguile but help Abigail and Lars

Six Degrees of Barbara Pym's Novels

This year seems to be The Year of Barbara Pym; I know some of you out there are involved in some kind of a readalong in honor of the 100th year of her birth. I’ve read most of her canon, with only The Sweet Dove Died, Civil to Strangers, An Academic Question, and Crampton Hodnet left to go (sadly). Barbara Pym’s novels feature very similar casts of characters: spinsters, clergymen, retirees, clerks, and anthropologists, with which she had direct experience. So it stands to reason that there would be overlaps in characters between the novels. You can trace that though the publication history of her books and therefore see how Pym onionizes her stories and characters. She adds layers onto layers, adding more details as her books progress. Some Tame Gazelle (1950): Archdeacon Hoccleve makes his first appearance. Excellent Women (1952): Archdeacon Hoccleve gives a sermon that is almost incomprehensible to Mildred Lathbury; Everard Bone understands it, however, and laughs