Skip to main content

Review: Villette, by Charlotte Bronte


Pages: 588
Original date of publication: 1853
My edition: 2001 (Modern Library)
Why I decided to read:
How I acquired my copy: Border, 2001

I tried reading Villette once, a number of years ago. I got about halfway through and stopped; maybe I wasn’t old enough to appreciate it very much. About a year and a half ago, when I moved into my apartment, I came across my copy and threw it on TBR Mountain, “to read sometime in the future.”

Villette, as is Jane Eyre, is based on personal experience: Charlotte Bronte famously spent a year teaching English in Brussels. The novel is set in the fictional country of Labassecours, based on Belgium (at first I thought the setting of the book was some extension of Angria, the kingdom she and her siblings created when they were children). Lucy Snowe comes to Villette from England in search of a job and almost accidentally ends up at the door of Madame Beck’s pensione, or school for young ladies, where she initially gets a job as nursemaid and then teacher.

Lucy is an introverted, isolated, sarcastic heroine; she is extremely practical but not good at showing emotion. In fact, I think she’d rather just pretend she doesn’t have them. In addition, she mocks her “friends” mercilessly. All told, I found her completely relatable, even though she’s not the classical example of a perfect heroine. The back of the book promises two relationships: one with a doctor who frequents the pensione and the other with an irascible, emotional teacher. The relationship with Dr. Bretton fizzles out; Lucy’s feelings for him mellow with time and fade out with loss of contact. Her relationship with M. Paul Emmanuel is far more interesting because Lucy herself doesn’t realize her feelings. But Bronte is good at showing the reader how Lucy feels, which means that Lucy is perhaps not the most reliable of narrators. But I like her flaws; they make her much for relatable, especially since I see a lot of myself in Lucy. I liked, or appreciated, her struggle to be independent.

Some of the plot elements fall flat (the ghost story is disappointing), and Bronte has an annoying habit of introducing her characters without actually referring to them by name for a couple of sentences. But overall I loved this book. Considering how much I love Jane Eyre, it’s amazing that I couldn’t get into Villette the first time I tried it. JE is a good introduction to Charlotte Bronte’s novels, but Villette is well worth a read.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another giveaway

This time, the publicist at WW Norton sent me two copies of The Glass of Time , by Michael Cox--so I'm giving away the second copy. Cox is the author of The Meaning of Night, and this book is the follow-up to that. Leave a comment here to enter to win it! The deadline is next Sunday, 10/5/08.

A giveaway winner, and another giveaway

The winner of the Girl in a Blue Dress contest is... Anna, of Diary of An Eccentric ! My new contest is for a copy of The Shape of Mercy , by Susan Meissner. According to Publisher's Weekly : Meissner's newest novel is potentially life-changing, the kind of inspirational fiction that prompts readers to call up old friends, lost loves or fallen-away family members to tell them that all is forgiven and that life is too short for holding grudges. Achingly romantic, the novel features the legacy of Mercy Hayworth—a young woman convicted during the Salem witch trials—whose words reach out from the past to forever transform the lives of two present-day women. These book lovers—Abigail Boyles, elderly, bitter and frail, and Lauren Lars Durough, wealthy, earnest and young—become unlikely friends, drawn together over the untimely death of Mercy, whose precious diary is all that remains of her too short life. And what a diary! Mercy's words not only beguile but help Abigail and Lars

Six Degrees of Barbara Pym's Novels

This year seems to be The Year of Barbara Pym; I know some of you out there are involved in some kind of a readalong in honor of the 100th year of her birth. I’ve read most of her canon, with only The Sweet Dove Died, Civil to Strangers, An Academic Question, and Crampton Hodnet left to go (sadly). Barbara Pym’s novels feature very similar casts of characters: spinsters, clergymen, retirees, clerks, and anthropologists, with which she had direct experience. So it stands to reason that there would be overlaps in characters between the novels. You can trace that though the publication history of her books and therefore see how Pym onionizes her stories and characters. She adds layers onto layers, adding more details as her books progress. Some Tame Gazelle (1950): Archdeacon Hoccleve makes his first appearance. Excellent Women (1952): Archdeacon Hoccleve gives a sermon that is almost incomprehensible to Mildred Lathbury; Everard Bone understands it, however, and laughs