Skip to main content

Booking Through Thursday


But enough about interviewing other people. It’s time I interviewed YOU.

1. What’s your favorite time of day to read?

Early in the morning.

2. Do you read during breakfast? (Assuming you eat breakfast.)
It would probably be more true to say that I read during breakfast time, that is to say, I don’t eat breakfast but at that general time of day.

3. What’s your favorite breakfast food? (Noting that breakfast foods can be eaten any time of day.)
Bagels.

4. How many hours a day would you say you read?
About one.

5. Do you read more or less now than you did, say, 10 years ago?
Yes, but I’m becoming much more discriminating in my reading choices and habits.

6. Do you consider yourself a speed reader?
In comparison to other book bloggers, no, but lesser-read people call me that.

7. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
Speed-reading. That way I could really all 200-plus book on my TBR pile and not feel any pressure. There's so much to read and too little time to read it in!

8. Do you carry a book with you everywhere you go?
Yes, always!

9. What KIND of book?
Anything I’m reading at the moment; I bought my handbag based on the fact that it can carry pretty much anything.

10. How old were you when you got your first library card?
I can’t remember!

11. What’s the oldest book you have in your collection? (Oldest physical copy? Longest in the collection? Oldest copyright?)
The physically oldest book I have in my collection is a collection of MR James ghost stories that I bought in a Charing Cross Road bookshop in London; the pub. date is 1934. My copy of Margery Sharpe's Brittania Mews is from 1946, and I have a first edition copy of Rebecca West's The Birds Fall Down from 1966.

12. Do you read in bed?
Sometimes.

13. Do you write in your books?
Absolutely not! Horror!

14. If you had one piece of advice to a new reader, what would it be?

15. What question have I NOT asked at BTT that you’d love me to ask? (Actually, leave the answer to this one in the comments on this post, huh? So I can find them when I need inspiration!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Six Degrees of Barbara Pym's Novels

This year seems to be The Year of Barbara Pym; I know some of you out there are involved in some kind of a readalong in honor of the 100th year of her birth. I’ve read most of her canon, with only The Sweet Dove Died, Civil to Strangers, An Academic Question, and Crampton Hodnet left to go (sadly). Barbara Pym’s novels feature very similar casts of characters: spinsters, clergymen, retirees, clerks, and anthropologists, with which she had direct experience. So it stands to reason that there would be overlaps in characters between the novels. You can trace that though the publication history of her books and therefore see how Pym onionizes her stories and characters. She adds layers onto layers, adding more details as her books progress. Some Tame Gazelle (1950): Archdeacon Hoccleve makes his first appearance. Excellent Women (1952): Archdeacon Hoccleve gives a sermon that is almost incomprehensible to Mildred Lathbury; Everard Bone understands it, however, and laughs

Another giveaway

This time, the publicist at WW Norton sent me two copies of The Glass of Time , by Michael Cox--so I'm giving away the second copy. Cox is the author of The Meaning of Night, and this book is the follow-up to that. Leave a comment here to enter to win it! The deadline is next Sunday, 10/5/08.

A giveaway winner, and another giveaway

The winner of the Girl in a Blue Dress contest is... Anna, of Diary of An Eccentric ! My new contest is for a copy of The Shape of Mercy , by Susan Meissner. According to Publisher's Weekly : Meissner's newest novel is potentially life-changing, the kind of inspirational fiction that prompts readers to call up old friends, lost loves or fallen-away family members to tell them that all is forgiven and that life is too short for holding grudges. Achingly romantic, the novel features the legacy of Mercy Hayworth—a young woman convicted during the Salem witch trials—whose words reach out from the past to forever transform the lives of two present-day women. These book lovers—Abigail Boyles, elderly, bitter and frail, and Lauren Lars Durough, wealthy, earnest and young—become unlikely friends, drawn together over the untimely death of Mercy, whose precious diary is all that remains of her too short life. And what a diary! Mercy's words not only beguile but help Abigail and Lars