Skip to main content

The Sunday Salon


Alright, so I said I’d be away for a few days, but I couldn’t help it! As the rest of the east coast of the US became snowed under, my family and I flew out to Arizona for (at least for me) a week. Of course, it’s comparatively warm here! Yesterday we celebrated Christmas and then ate an early dinner (roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, of course) before heading to the airport.

As far as book receiving goes, I didn’t get much, since the bulk of what I received was apartment-related. But my mom did give me a year-long Persephone subscription. She gave me the receipt she printed from online, which has the list of books I’m going to get this year. Since I want to be surprised each month, it’s taking all of my will to keep myself from looking at the list!

Whenever I go on vacation, I always overpack, bookwise. Like clothes, I want to have options! I brought: Lady Rose and Mrs. Memmary, by Ruby Ferguson; Thunder on the Right, by Mary Stewart; Henrietta Sees it Through, by Joyce Dennys; and The Winter Journey, by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles, in my suitcase. In my handbag: The Saracen Blade, by Frank Yerby (my current read at the time, which I’ve since finished); Clara and Mr. Tiffany, by Susan Vreeland; Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont, by Elizabeth Taylor; and then in the airport I bought a copy of The Little Stranger, by Sarah Waters. I have two more tucked into my computer bag, too! Of these, I’ve finished The Saracen Blade and finished Clara and Mr. Tiffany nearly in one sitting. Susan Vreeland is such a great writer, and I think this one is one of her best. I’m now reading Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont, which is also very good. What did you get this Christmas?

Comments

readerbuzz said…
I had to read the list of books you took along on your trip to my husband. Excellent list. Very helpful to share with my husband. He thinks I am the only crazy reader out there. Ha!

Here's my post: Sunday Salon: The Best of 2010 in Books.
Nymeth said…
A Persephone in the mail every month would make my year!

Enjoy Lady Rose and Mrs. Memmary - it's a wonderful book. Also, I need to get my hands on Henrietta Sees it Through, as I really loved the first book.
I hope you enjoy your Persephone subscription! I would also want it to be a surprise, but would probably cave in. I received my copies of Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes and Skippy Dies by Paul Murray. What's even better is they are from my mother, who actually called to ask me where I can buy these books. It might have been her first trip to a Borders.

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Forever Amber, by Kathleen Winsor

Pages: 972 Originally published: 1944 My edition: 2000 (Chicago Review Press) How I acquired my copy: Amazon.com, 2004

Forever Amber takes place in the 1660s, immediately follwing Charles II's ("the Merry Monarch") return of the Stuarts to the English throne. The book features Amber St. Claire, a young woman who starts out as a sixteen-year-old country girl, naieve to the workings of the world. She immediately meets Bruce Carlton, a dashing young Cavalier, with whom she has a passionate love affair in choppy intervals throughout the book. They have two children together, but Bruce won't marry her for the reason he tells his friend Lord Almsbury: that Amber just isn't the kind of woman one marries.

Upon following Bruce to London, he goes to Virginia, leaving her to fend for herself. What follows is a series of affairs and four marriages, with Bruce coming back from America now and then. Amber's marriages are imprudent: her first husband is a gambler, her second is…

Review: Jane Austen's Letters, ed. by Deirdre Le Faye

Pages: 667 Original date of publication: 2011 My copy: 2011 (Oxford University Press) Why I decided to read: How I acquired my copy: Amazon.com, April 2013
This is a compilation of many of Jane Austen’s letters, most of them sent to her sister Cassandra between 1796 and 1817, the year of her death. Although many of Austen’s letters were destroyed by her sister in order to preserve the family reputation, the collection contains over 160 letters in which Austen gives her sister details about her life in Chawton—as well as giving us a tantalizing glimpse of what was going through her mind as she was writing her novels (especially the novel that was to become Pride and Prejudice, First Impressions). There are other letters here, too, giving advice to her niece and professional correspondence to publishers—as well as a couple of letters that were written by Cassandra Austen after Jane’s death.
To the sisters, the letters acted in the way that phone calls do today; Austen’s news is all about pe…

Review: Midnight in Peking, by Paul French

Pages: 259 Original date of publication: 2013 My copy: 2013 (Penguin) Why I decided to read: How I acquired my copy: Phoenix bookstore, May 2013
In January 1937, the body of a young British girl, Pamela Werner, was found near Peking’s Fox Tower. Although two detectives, one British and the other Chinese, spent months on the case, the case was never solved completely, and the case was forgotten in the wake of the invasion of the Japanese. Frustrated, Pamela’s father, a former diplomat, tried to solve the crime. His investigation took him into the underbelly of Peking society and uncovered a secret that was worse than anything he could have imagined.
At first, I thought that this would be a pretty straightforward retelling of a true crime, but what Paul French (who spent seven years researching the story) reveals in this book is much more than that. Foreign society in Peking in the 1930s was stratified, with the British colonials at the top and the White Russian refugees at the bottom, but…