Skip to main content

The Sunday Salon



This past week I participated in and enjoyed immensely Persephone Reading Week, hosted by Verity and Claire. I read They Were Sisters and A London Child of the 1870s; loved the former and was interested in but didn’t love the latter. I’m now about a third of the way through one of Persephone’s newest books, Still Missing, which is readily available in the US from Harper. So why did I pay about $4 for shipping from the UK? Need I answer that question?

I learned, through the Spring/Summer 2010 Persephone Biannually that arrived at my house yesterday, that the other of Persephone’s Spring titles, Dimanche and Other Stories, was also reprinted by Vintage here in the US this past week (the image above has been reproduced on the US cover as well as that of the Biannually). So it looks as though the Irene Nemirovsky revival continues... I also found to my delight that an excerpt of my review of The Carlyles at Home was spotlighted in the Biannually!

Book shopping continued this week, with the purchase of six more books in the Morland Dynasty series, all of the Dorothy Sayers books I don’t own that Barnes and Noble had (about half a dozen of them), Shinju, by Laura Joh Rowland (the first in the Sano Ichiro mystery series, set in 17th century Edo, or Tokyo), The Circular Staircase, by Mary Roberts Rinehart, and Nightingale Wood, by Stella Gibbon, all of which were bought with leftovers from various giftcards and then some. I seem to buy books faster than I read them, and so my TBR shelves are full to bursting! For the rest of the month I think I’ll try to curb my spending (easier said than done) and actually read!

Today is of course Mother’s Day, and my sister took the train down from New York as a surprise for Mom. Yesterday we had dinner at home and then today were went out to brunch.

Comments

No, you need not answer that question! Completely understandable in my eyes.

Congratulations on your biannually mention and I hope that you enjoy Still Missing; I had intended to read it this week but ran out of time.
reviewsbylola said…
I buy or check out books way faster than I read them too--it is a sickness!
jane said…
How great that your review was spotlighted - very exciting!
I buy books faster than I read them too, it's a disease i tell you!!

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Forever Amber, by Kathleen Winsor

Pages: 972 Originally published: 1944 My edition: 2000 (Chicago Review Press) How I acquired my copy: Amazon.com, 2004

Forever Amber takes place in the 1660s, immediately follwing Charles II's ("the Merry Monarch") return of the Stuarts to the English throne. The book features Amber St. Claire, a young woman who starts out as a sixteen-year-old country girl, naieve to the workings of the world. She immediately meets Bruce Carlton, a dashing young Cavalier, with whom she has a passionate love affair in choppy intervals throughout the book. They have two children together, but Bruce won't marry her for the reason he tells his friend Lord Almsbury: that Amber just isn't the kind of woman one marries.

Upon following Bruce to London, he goes to Virginia, leaving her to fend for herself. What follows is a series of affairs and four marriages, with Bruce coming back from America now and then. Amber's marriages are imprudent: her first husband is a gambler, her second is…

Review: Jane Austen's Letters, ed. by Deirdre Le Faye

Pages: 667 Original date of publication: 2011 My copy: 2011 (Oxford University Press) Why I decided to read: How I acquired my copy: Amazon.com, April 2013
This is a compilation of many of Jane Austen’s letters, most of them sent to her sister Cassandra between 1796 and 1817, the year of her death. Although many of Austen’s letters were destroyed by her sister in order to preserve the family reputation, the collection contains over 160 letters in which Austen gives her sister details about her life in Chawton—as well as giving us a tantalizing glimpse of what was going through her mind as she was writing her novels (especially the novel that was to become Pride and Prejudice, First Impressions). There are other letters here, too, giving advice to her niece and professional correspondence to publishers—as well as a couple of letters that were written by Cassandra Austen after Jane’s death.
To the sisters, the letters acted in the way that phone calls do today; Austen’s news is all about pe…

Review: Midnight in Peking, by Paul French

Pages: 259 Original date of publication: 2013 My copy: 2013 (Penguin) Why I decided to read: How I acquired my copy: Phoenix bookstore, May 2013
In January 1937, the body of a young British girl, Pamela Werner, was found near Peking’s Fox Tower. Although two detectives, one British and the other Chinese, spent months on the case, the case was never solved completely, and the case was forgotten in the wake of the invasion of the Japanese. Frustrated, Pamela’s father, a former diplomat, tried to solve the crime. His investigation took him into the underbelly of Peking society and uncovered a secret that was worse than anything he could have imagined.
At first, I thought that this would be a pretty straightforward retelling of a true crime, but what Paul French (who spent seven years researching the story) reveals in this book is much more than that. Foreign society in Peking in the 1930s was stratified, with the British colonials at the top and the White Russian refugees at the bottom, but…