Skip to main content

Weekly Geeks


I don’t participate in Weekly Geeks a whole lot, but I knew I had to answer this question when it came up. I often go to LibraryThing for recommendations, but sometimes I get some from other book bloggers. I’m afraid I don’t get much out of my comfort zone, which is historical fiction, but I do enjoy other genres periodically. As for new-to-me authors, I often read them quite frequently. And I take many chances with my reading, especially if the setting or plot interests me.

The other part of the assignment is to ask my readers for recommendations. It’s not as though I need a lot of book recommendations (I’ve got 169 books tagged as “TBR” on LibraryThing), but I’m always looking for new stuff to read. As I’ve mentioned before, historical fiction is truly my thing. I read heavily in the late medieval and Victorian periods; but I don’t have much ancient Roman, Greek, or early medieval history (pre-11th century) represented. I’ve read Michelle Moran’s books, Donna Woolfolk Cross’s Pope Joan, and I once read one of Colleen McCullough’s Roman novels (Caesar's Women, I think), but that’s about it, really. Oh, and I’m missing some 13th century historical fiction, but it’s a century that seems to be written about less frequently. Any suggestions for the periods I’ve listed above? For a full list of historical fiction that I’ve read and to see what I've generally liked in the past, take a look at this list. Also, here's a list of historical fiction I've reviewed here on my blog.

Comments

Erotic Horizon said…
Happy weekly geek my dear - hope you get loads of suggestion this week.

Greek Mythology is more my thing - I like reading about the Tudors, but can't really recommend anything..

E.H>
Kerrie said…
What about Ellis Peters (The Cadfael series), also writing as Edith Pargeter. There's also Sharon Penman. And have you read Philipa Gregory, the latest is THE WHITE QUEEN
pussreboots said…
Wish I could help but I can't think of anything. I don't read much historical fiction.

My post is here.
Read The Reincarnationist by MJ Rose. It is contemporary with historical bits. A suspense/mystery book. You will like it.

Weekly Geeks: Recommendations
Maree said…
Oh, definitely go back to Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome. Caesar's Women isn't the strongeest in the series. The first one is The First Man in Rome and it's really good.
Happy Weekly Geeks :)
Melanie said…
try the Didius Falco series by Lindsay Davis. the first is Silver Pigs. hard boiled detective fiction set in 70 AD Rome
Dreamybee said…
The only thing I could think to recommend was Year of Wonders, but I see you've already read that. Actually, that one reminds me a little bit of The Ghost Map by Steven Johnson. It's not historical fiction, but it chronicles London's 1854 cholera epidemic in what I thought was an interesting manner.

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Forever Amber, by Kathleen Winsor

Pages: 972 Originally published: 1944 My edition: 2000 (Chicago Review Press) How I acquired my copy: Amazon.com, 2004

Forever Amber takes place in the 1660s, immediately follwing Charles II's ("the Merry Monarch") return of the Stuarts to the English throne. The book features Amber St. Claire, a young woman who starts out as a sixteen-year-old country girl, naieve to the workings of the world. She immediately meets Bruce Carlton, a dashing young Cavalier, with whom she has a passionate love affair in choppy intervals throughout the book. They have two children together, but Bruce won't marry her for the reason he tells his friend Lord Almsbury: that Amber just isn't the kind of woman one marries.

Upon following Bruce to London, he goes to Virginia, leaving her to fend for herself. What follows is a series of affairs and four marriages, with Bruce coming back from America now and then. Amber's marriages are imprudent: her first husband is a gambler, her second is…

Review: Jane Austen's Letters, ed. by Deirdre Le Faye

Pages: 667 Original date of publication: 2011 My copy: 2011 (Oxford University Press) Why I decided to read: How I acquired my copy: Amazon.com, April 2013
This is a compilation of many of Jane Austen’s letters, most of them sent to her sister Cassandra between 1796 and 1817, the year of her death. Although many of Austen’s letters were destroyed by her sister in order to preserve the family reputation, the collection contains over 160 letters in which Austen gives her sister details about her life in Chawton—as well as giving us a tantalizing glimpse of what was going through her mind as she was writing her novels (especially the novel that was to become Pride and Prejudice, First Impressions). There are other letters here, too, giving advice to her niece and professional correspondence to publishers—as well as a couple of letters that were written by Cassandra Austen after Jane’s death.
To the sisters, the letters acted in the way that phone calls do today; Austen’s news is all about pe…

Review: Midnight in Peking, by Paul French

Pages: 259 Original date of publication: 2013 My copy: 2013 (Penguin) Why I decided to read: How I acquired my copy: Phoenix bookstore, May 2013
In January 1937, the body of a young British girl, Pamela Werner, was found near Peking’s Fox Tower. Although two detectives, one British and the other Chinese, spent months on the case, the case was never solved completely, and the case was forgotten in the wake of the invasion of the Japanese. Frustrated, Pamela’s father, a former diplomat, tried to solve the crime. His investigation took him into the underbelly of Peking society and uncovered a secret that was worse than anything he could have imagined.
At first, I thought that this would be a pretty straightforward retelling of a true crime, but what Paul French (who spent seven years researching the story) reveals in this book is much more than that. Foreign society in Peking in the 1930s was stratified, with the British colonials at the top and the White Russian refugees at the bottom, but…