Skip to main content

The Sunday Salon


It’s been a good week for me in books. I finished two books: The Nun’s Tale, by Candace Robb (medieval mystery, set in 1366 York) and The Shadowy Horses, by Sesanna Kearsley (paranormal novel set in modern-day Scotland but featuring an ancient Roman ghost). Both were enjoyable, and I’ll have reviews of them posted as soon as I can get myself to write them.

We celebrated my mom’s birthday on Wednesday, and the big birthday gift for her form my dad was… a Kindle! I gave her a gift card to go along with it, and she’s already bought The White Tiger to read for her book group. Although I prefer holding an actual book, I have to say that I’m a bit jealous!

I made a trip to the library yesterday, and pick up three books: The Devil’s Queen, by Jeanne Kalogridis (not coming out until Tuesday, but for some reason, the library had their copy ready to go early). I also got The Crusader, by Michael Eisner (a novel about the crusades), and Death Comes as Epiphany, a mystery set in 12th century France, by Sharan Newman.

Currently I’m reading two books: Falls the Shadow, by Sharon Kay Penman, and the Jeanne Kalogridis. I bought the Penman book about five years ago, read 20 pages, but couldn’t get into it. I’m about halfway through now in my second attempt, and enjoying the story of Simon de Montfort. It’s always great to re-discover books that way, don’t you think? As for the Kalogridis novel, it’s interesting, but the narration for Catherine de Medici as a young girl sounds more adult-like than I would have expected. We’ll see if things pick up; I’m only 100 pages in. As for book buys, I pre-ordered Sophie Kinsella's new book, Twenties Girl, which I'm eagerly anticipating.

Comments

Booklogged said…
Sounds like a good book week indeed. I haven't read any of the books you mentioned, but they all sounded wonderful.
Lezlie said…
I am dying to get my hands on Kalogridis' book! And I hope you like The Crusader. I read it last year, and thought it was really good.

Lezlie
Kerrie said…
A good reminder for me to look for Candace Robb again
Sounds like you've got your hands on some good historical crime fiction which is a genre I've been reading a bit of myself recently. Must check these titles out.

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Forever Amber, by Kathleen Winsor

Pages: 972 Originally published: 1944 My edition: 2000 (Chicago Review Press) How I acquired my copy: Amazon.com, 2004

Forever Amber takes place in the 1660s, immediately follwing Charles II's ("the Merry Monarch") return of the Stuarts to the English throne. The book features Amber St. Claire, a young woman who starts out as a sixteen-year-old country girl, naieve to the workings of the world. She immediately meets Bruce Carlton, a dashing young Cavalier, with whom she has a passionate love affair in choppy intervals throughout the book. They have two children together, but Bruce won't marry her for the reason he tells his friend Lord Almsbury: that Amber just isn't the kind of woman one marries.

Upon following Bruce to London, he goes to Virginia, leaving her to fend for herself. What follows is a series of affairs and four marriages, with Bruce coming back from America now and then. Amber's marriages are imprudent: her first husband is a gambler, her second is…

Review: Jane Austen's Letters, ed. by Deirdre Le Faye

Pages: 667 Original date of publication: 2011 My copy: 2011 (Oxford University Press) Why I decided to read: How I acquired my copy: Amazon.com, April 2013
This is a compilation of many of Jane Austen’s letters, most of them sent to her sister Cassandra between 1796 and 1817, the year of her death. Although many of Austen’s letters were destroyed by her sister in order to preserve the family reputation, the collection contains over 160 letters in which Austen gives her sister details about her life in Chawton—as well as giving us a tantalizing glimpse of what was going through her mind as she was writing her novels (especially the novel that was to become Pride and Prejudice, First Impressions). There are other letters here, too, giving advice to her niece and professional correspondence to publishers—as well as a couple of letters that were written by Cassandra Austen after Jane’s death.
To the sisters, the letters acted in the way that phone calls do today; Austen’s news is all about pe…

Review: Midnight in Peking, by Paul French

Pages: 259 Original date of publication: 2013 My copy: 2013 (Penguin) Why I decided to read: How I acquired my copy: Phoenix bookstore, May 2013
In January 1937, the body of a young British girl, Pamela Werner, was found near Peking’s Fox Tower. Although two detectives, one British and the other Chinese, spent months on the case, the case was never solved completely, and the case was forgotten in the wake of the invasion of the Japanese. Frustrated, Pamela’s father, a former diplomat, tried to solve the crime. His investigation took him into the underbelly of Peking society and uncovered a secret that was worse than anything he could have imagined.
At first, I thought that this would be a pretty straightforward retelling of a true crime, but what Paul French (who spent seven years researching the story) reveals in this book is much more than that. Foreign society in Peking in the 1930s was stratified, with the British colonials at the top and the White Russian refugees at the bottom, but…