Skip to main content

Review: A Dangerous Affair, by Caro Peacock


Book description from Amazon:

Caro Peacock, the acclaimed author of A Foreign Affair, once again ingeniously blends history, suspense, and adventure and returns an endearing and exceptional heroine to the fictional fold.

In Victoria's England, there are perilous intrigues a proper young lady would do well to avoid . . .

Liberty Lane, still in her early twenties, is doing her best to make a new life for herself in London after being bruised by loss and treachery. But there's no chance for her to settle down as a conventional young lady. First, a disturbingly attractive young politician, Benjamin Disraeli, wants her to use her contacts in the theatre world to find out more about a prima ballerina with a notorious love life called Columbine. He hints that some important interests may be at stake. Then Columbine is murdered in her dressing room, after an on-stage brawl with a younger and less successful dancer, who becomes prime suspect. Liberty is at the center of the investigation because one of her dearest friends, Daniel Suter, is convinced of the girl's innocence and will put his own neck in danger to save her. Liberty's determination to save them from the gallows leads her from the upper reaches of the aristocracy to some of London's lowlife haunts, posing the question: How far would you go to save a friend?

I really enjoyed the first Liberty Lane novel, A Foreign Affair. So when I saw that this book was offered through the LT Early Reviewer’s program, I was excited. Well, I didn’t win a copy, but Gwen passed on her copy to me when she was done with it. Usually I’m wary of sequels, afraid that they won’t be as good as the first. Well, I needn’t have worried here; A Dangerous Affair is just as strong as A Foreign Affair. Liberty is jut as spunky and unique as before, and the plot moves along at a brisk pace. My only problem with this novel is the same as I had with its predecessor: the dialogue is a bit too modern, as was our indefatigable protagonist. However, I look forward to reading more of Liberty’s adventures in the future.

Comments

Jennifer said…
I received an ARC of this book, but I haven't read the first one in the series. How important do you think it is to read them in order?
Danielle said…
I'm reading A Dangerous Affair right now and really enjoying it. I agree that in some ways she does seem to be a pretty modern heroine, but the story is so enjoyable I'm willing to overlook it. I also have her new one lined up as well (also tried to get a LT copy, but didn't luck out).
I was lucky enough to get a LT ARC (my first!) and I really enjoyed getting reacquainted with Liberty. I love that she has all these really enigmatic men in her life and we really only know about as much about them as she does. I only wish Peacock would let her interact with some female characters that are her equals. Liberty has tons of promise as a series heroine and I look forward to seeing what's next. I think something's scheduled for the later part of '09.
Serena said…
I really enjoyed A Dangerous Affair, which prompted me to read the first in the series.
stacybuckeye said…
Thanks for the review. I haven't read this ir the first. I'll have to add them to my list.

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Forever Amber, by Kathleen Winsor

Pages: 972 Originally published: 1944 My edition: 2000 (Chicago Review Press) How I acquired my copy: Amazon.com, 2004

Forever Amber takes place in the 1660s, immediately follwing Charles II's ("the Merry Monarch") return of the Stuarts to the English throne. The book features Amber St. Claire, a young woman who starts out as a sixteen-year-old country girl, naieve to the workings of the world. She immediately meets Bruce Carlton, a dashing young Cavalier, with whom she has a passionate love affair in choppy intervals throughout the book. They have two children together, but Bruce won't marry her for the reason he tells his friend Lord Almsbury: that Amber just isn't the kind of woman one marries.

Upon following Bruce to London, he goes to Virginia, leaving her to fend for herself. What follows is a series of affairs and four marriages, with Bruce coming back from America now and then. Amber's marriages are imprudent: her first husband is a gambler, her second is…

Review: Jane Austen's Letters, ed. by Deirdre Le Faye

Pages: 667 Original date of publication: 2011 My copy: 2011 (Oxford University Press) Why I decided to read: How I acquired my copy: Amazon.com, April 2013
This is a compilation of many of Jane Austen’s letters, most of them sent to her sister Cassandra between 1796 and 1817, the year of her death. Although many of Austen’s letters were destroyed by her sister in order to preserve the family reputation, the collection contains over 160 letters in which Austen gives her sister details about her life in Chawton—as well as giving us a tantalizing glimpse of what was going through her mind as she was writing her novels (especially the novel that was to become Pride and Prejudice, First Impressions). There are other letters here, too, giving advice to her niece and professional correspondence to publishers—as well as a couple of letters that were written by Cassandra Austen after Jane’s death.
To the sisters, the letters acted in the way that phone calls do today; Austen’s news is all about pe…

Review: Midnight in Peking, by Paul French

Pages: 259 Original date of publication: 2013 My copy: 2013 (Penguin) Why I decided to read: How I acquired my copy: Phoenix bookstore, May 2013
In January 1937, the body of a young British girl, Pamela Werner, was found near Peking’s Fox Tower. Although two detectives, one British and the other Chinese, spent months on the case, the case was never solved completely, and the case was forgotten in the wake of the invasion of the Japanese. Frustrated, Pamela’s father, a former diplomat, tried to solve the crime. His investigation took him into the underbelly of Peking society and uncovered a secret that was worse than anything he could have imagined.
At first, I thought that this would be a pretty straightforward retelling of a true crime, but what Paul French (who spent seven years researching the story) reveals in this book is much more than that. Foreign society in Peking in the 1930s was stratified, with the British colonials at the top and the White Russian refugees at the bottom, but…